The Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Shop/Museum is a historic apothecary’s shop in Alexandria, Virginia, US, that has been preserved as a museum. The Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum was a family business founded in 1792 and operated in this location from 1805 until 1933. During its working life, the drug company was owned by generations of a Quaker family. Eventually, a dramatic decline in sales during the Great Depression forced the shop to close its doors. Almost immediately, in 1939, it was reopened as a museum.
The museum displays thousands of artifacts, precisely on the shelves where they were when the store closed. The store also still features antebellum gothic revival furnishing. After an in-depth restoration in 2006 by The City of Alexandria, the second floor is now included on tours of the museum.
The second floor contains a former warehouse room currently used for events, and a manufacturing room, where medicines were made for retail and wholesale. Like the historic retail space on the main floor of the museum, the manufacturing room is practically untouched since 1933.
The museum offers daily tours for individuals and families and group tours by appointment. The museum also runs various programs for the community. There is a Girl Scout workshop, various discussions on old medicine, and themed birthday parties available.
Properties in Port Royal
LOCATED IN THE HEART OF OLD TOWN. ENJOY A WONDERFUL WALKABLE LOCATION ONLY 1 1/2 BLKS TO POTOMAC RIVER W/PARKS, RUNNING, & BIKING TRAILS. THIS SPACIOUS 1 BEDROOM IS 784 SQ FT & COMPLETELY RENOVATED. ENJOY LIVING ON THE TOP FLOOR AND ONLY 1 ... [Read more]